Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Red Admiral

Thick, hot, humid air engulfs me as i enter the greenhouse. Tiny plants stretch for what seems forever down the length of this miniature ecosystem. As i begin to make my way down the aisle, i notice a butterfly struggling against the clouded plastic wall, trying to escape to the light. It settles long enough that i can gentle cup it in my hands. Quickly i take it outside to release it, but it chooses not to part so hastily. Sitting on my finger, it slowly opens and closes its intricately decorated wings. On the dorsal side is a bold red stripe for which it is given its name. Beneath, the wings are a cryptic brown and black. As it pauses, so do i. It is as if together we are taking a short break from our busy lives to enjoy a moment of peace. I grow impatient and touch my thumb to its abdomen. It takes off in its erratic flight and i follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment